Add variety to your Shabbat table with this Moroccan Sweet Beet Salad. After cooking the beets in water, simply slice and spice. Simple, colorful, healthy and delicious. This salad is so tasty that even the kids will eat it up.
- 4-5 red beets
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Wash beets. Cut off their stems and bottoms, but do not peel. Cut them into quarters and place in a pot of water (enough water to cover the beets).
- Bring the water to a boil. Turn the flame down to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Drain and cool the beets. Then peel and slice them.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, oil and salt. Note that the amount of the seasonings can be changed according to your taste.
- Cover and refrigerate. This salad is best when it sits for a few hours or overnight before serving. Serve cold.