Sweet and sour with the subtle spice of curry, sosaties are one of the great braai (barbecue) foods of South Africa and a hallmark of Cape Malay cuisine. This recipe for lamb kebabs was brought to the country by Malaysian labourers. Sosaties on the BBQ have never tasted better especially when there is Boerewors on offer too. These kebabs can contain many types of meat (or vegetables) but lamb sosaties seem to always taste the best. Begin the recipe mid-week for a weekend braai; the meat should marinate 3 days for best flavor.
- 1 kg Lamb
- or mutton, cut into cubes
- 300 gm Dried apricots
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 120 ml Vinegar
- 120 ml Water or red or white kosher wine
- 1 tbsp Apricot jam or tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 Bay leaves
- Kosher Salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden or bamboo skewer
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or skillet over medium flame. Combine the onions and sauté until transparent, 3 or 4 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder and sauté for another2 minut.
- Add the vinegar, water or wine, jam or tamarind paste, brown sugar and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lightly thickened, 5 or 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the lamb and apricots in a large, non-reactive bowl. Pour the cooked marinade over the lamb and apricots and toss thoroughly to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least one day, preferably up to 3 days.
- Prepare your grill. Remove the lamb cubes and apricots from the marinade and thread on skewers that have been soaked in water. Alternate between chunks of lamb and the apricots.
- Grill the skewers on a hot grill, turning to cook on all sides. Cook for about 8 minutes for medium-rare and up to 15 minutes for well-done (the more commonly preferred doneness in South Africa).
- While the skewers are grilling, bring the marinade to a boil in a saucepan and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Serve hot in a bowl as a sauce for the sosaties along with sides of pap or geelrys.